Friday, January 28, 2011

I might as well start with the letter "A"

Android is my first theme and "Tasker" is the app I will be reviewing. I have a feeling that I might be doing a few Tasker posts because this has become my favorite app. Tasker is described from the website as " an application for Android which performs Tasks (sets of Actions) based on Contexts(application, time, date, location, event, gesture) in user-defined Profiles, or in clickable or timer home screen widgets." To narrow it down it is an application that allows you to automate taskes for your phone. I am going to give you an example below of an easy script you can follow that allows your phone to open up your music /last.fm /youtube automatically when you plug in your headphones. The app cost about $6.18. This may seem steep but it is completely worth it. I will go over the one of many scripts with you now. 


Step One: Open Tasker and Select New. I named my profile Headphones

Step Two: Select "State" and select Headphones Plugged. Your "Type" Should be "No Mic"

Step Three: Select New Task. I just named this "Music"

Step Four: Click the + Button to add an action. Select App. Then Select Load App. Here you can select more then one app.

Step Five: Add the app of your choosing. I selected Last Fm. Select Done

Step Six: Click the Wrench/Screwdriver button. Under "Task Type" you have two options Execute and Menu. Execute will automatically open the App you selected. Menu will open up a list. This is good if you selected multiply apps. I used the menu option

The end result should look like the following. This is a picture of my screen when the headphones are not plugged in.

 Here is a picture of what comes up when the headphones are plugged in.
If you have any questions feel free to comment. Thanks for taking a look at my Blog!

5 comments:

  1. I liked Tasker, but went with Locale instead. Same function, $10, but didn't require a book on coding to get it to work how I wanted. I may have to look at it again though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fucking love Tasker. The programmer in me gets all giddy when I get something working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There isnt to much on Tasker on the interwebs...i hope to make this a weekly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you familiar with JuiceDefender? I made a rudimentary JD replacement using tasker but I have since lost the profile... Took me a while to work out the kinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I am...ill try to post something up today "mocking" some actions from JD

    ReplyDelete