Monday, February 21, 2011

What.



So, I don't know what to expect of this. A little background to the whole project. I will be picking up the server tomorrow and probably just fooling around with it for a little bit to see what I can do without teh internetz and all that surrounding it. Someone I know was given a server from someone else. The original owner was just going to throw it out (I am seriously doubting logic here but it gets worse) but gave it to someone else to use. The person who was giving it away was changing their office computers all over to macs instead of using pc's (I know, why!?!?!) and they also handed over three pretty new (within the year) ibm pc's. I will also be getting one of those computers as well and maybe two because none of the people who have had possession of them need them or have any idea what to do with them. Being a computer science major, I can hardly hold in joy.

Holy fucking shit I can't wait. Going to pick up this bad boy tomorrow and was told that I could possibly get a hernia the thing is so big. I am so fucking excited to get it.

Okay, now back to professionalism here. I can go more into detail as to what the complete background story is for this, but I won't because it is a little detailed and contains some personal information about the people involved that I want to figure out how to remove without taking out the description needed in the story. If you would like me to, just ask here or on teh other site.

Basically, I have two ideas. The first being a temporary thing. I may want to create a "Watson" computer. You may have seen the new contestant on jeopardy recently which is a super-computer created by IBM that is able to interpret the human language and answer questions based on words and sentences. This will only be temporary as I wish to do other things with it and don't want to restrict it to my own personal use.

The second idea is to create a private site for Team_Awesome that can be accesses by anyone who wishes to join and post content. It may be along the lines of a private tracker. This, of course, would bring in the issue of security. While I have the utmost respect and trust with all of you, it isn't you guys who are the problem (well, most of you anyways). Several things would need to be put into play here. How much content it can hold, how you will be able to access the site (password, ranking process) and who will be able to access it (been in TA for x months, dedicated contributors to the subreddit/other places) and what type of security measure should be put into place to keep it safe for all who want to access it and all who wish to gather data.

Yeah, I know that this is still an idea, I really want to go ahead with it. These are my thoughts so far on it.

Storage:
I don't know exactly how much space it holds. Knowing the person who bought it, it definitely wasn't a cheap purchase (which makes me question why it was almost trashed). I am positive that I will put money into expanding the space if I have to. This aspect should not be much of a problem.

Access:
I want to put into place some kind of heirarchy. Look, this isn't because I want to exclude people. That is the last thing on my mind, it is simply to make it so it functions properly as a community. Rankings will hold no true power abilites, but will allow you to do certain things (i.e. access certain uploads or information or whatnot). I don't want to exclude people, but I also don't want to put people at risk so if it happens as planned, you will need some sort of permission or invite or something to gain access initally. I want to point out again, I DO NOT want to exclude people, that isn't what TA is about and I definitely don't view myself as that type of person either. Anything that restricts a users access to certain areas will be purely for security.

Securtiy:
I have a lot of researching to do in this part. I literally have no clue what to do with this as I just found out I was getting it within the past few days. I have printed out a few things, but if anyone could suggest ideas to implement or places to look, they would be graciously appreciated and responded with a heart-felt "thank you".

That is the end of my part, now I need some input from anyone who has some ideas or experience in anything with this. I need to know what needs to be done and how far I could possibly take this (or how short for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment